The (extensive) hand planing begins…

So after my first lamination finished drying I took off the clamps and looked at what I had. I was a little disappointed in my clamping. Some of the boards appeared to have slid a little bit and I was initially worried that this meant that I wouldn’t be able to plane the boards smooth.

Here’s a better view of it from up close…

So I started working at it with a number 5 but felt like I wasn’t taking off enough material in each pass. Lowering the blade just clogged up the iron opening so I decided to take an old number 4 I had and convert the blade to a scrub plane. I don’t have a bench grinder yet so I did it with rough sand paper but it seemed to work. Made a big difference and I was soon taking off pretty good size chunks of material. It made pretty quick work of the top…

You can see above the scallops that the scrub plane left as it removed wood. So to clean this up I went over it again with the number 5…

Here you can see that on the right I have it pretty well cleaned up and on the left I still have all the scallop marks from the scrub plane. Once I cleaned it all up I went over it with a number 4 smoothing plane and I think it looks pretty darn good…

I also did the back side but I didn’t spend as much time on it because I had made sure to put the bad sides of the lumber facing down so there were marks and gaps that simply couldn’t be removed. Next step is to do another for the other side and then I think I can start on the legs.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *